Sunday, April 09, 2006

If there were two of me...

... I would have gotten the whole house scrubbed perfectly clean, I would have caught up on grading, I would have finished my taxes, and I would have found all of the costumes we're missing for the musical. I am only one person, however, so I got the house moderately clean, have almost finished my taxes, found one skirt for the musical, and hope to spend the evening grading those darn Odyssey tests that have been sitting in my bag for two weeks.

My parents, K and I went to see Hamlet last night. My father wasn't impressed with the person playing Hamlet--he thought he was overly aware of diction and didn't sound entirely human while delivering lines. The adaptation itself was OK--another one of those pre-WWII kinds of things. It was the first time I have seen Hamlet and hopefully not the last.

The Guthrie itself is moving. There are several plays I'd be interested in seeing in the 2006-2007 season: The Great Gatsby, A Christmas Carol (plays every year and I'd like to see it now that our school has put it on), The Merchant of Venice, The Glass Menagerie, etc.

Right now, I am teaching Romeo and Juliet and enjoying myself. I really need to find a novel / create a unit that I truly enjoy for my juniors. I haven't connected with any of the units thus far (and probably won't at all), which probably is one of the reasons why I don't think I've had an entirely pleasurable experience teaching them. There are other reasons, of course, but I think I have to be excited about what I'm teaching to feel good about it. If I do teach this class again, I plan to dedicate some of the summer to finding some new short stories, novels, etc.

No comments: