Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Reading Challenge

Afternoon update: Have sorted through piles of muck. :) I'm going to grade the freshmen things first as there are a few things that need to get back in a more timely fashion, and the junior things second as there are really only two assignments, though both are significant.

And in my easily-distracted state, and my desire to read "better" things, I have created an adaptation of a bookcrossing challenge: The A to Z challenge. Some bookcrossers are simply trying to read one book from every letter of the alphabet. I've decided to try to read one "classic" (yes, I realize the categorization is fairly in-the-eye-of-the-beholder) for each alphabet letter. I'll have to sort of cheat and not say the title will start with that letter; some might be a little more creative then that. (And some might be a re-read.)

My list will change a little as I develop it, so this post won't entirely remain the same as when I first wrote it, but for now--unbolded means I haven't read it yet, bold means it is completed.

A: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
B: The Bible (re-read)
C: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
D: Daisy Miller by Henry James
E: Emma by Jane Austen
F: Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
G: Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
H: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
I: Inferno by Dante
J:
K:
L: To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
M: Middlemarch by George Eliot
N: 1984 by George Orwell
O:
P:
Q:
R:
S: Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
T: Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
U:
V: Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
W:
X:
Y: The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings by Gilmore (re-read)
Z:

No comments: