Sunday, December 04, 2005

that is the question

There are many, of course, but the one as of recent:

When you have many students who come to you, some crying, but more than one and more than the most persistent--and they are asking--or somewhat begging--you to take over the drama program because they know you are being "mentored" into it...

When you have a director who posts a sign that says "no prima donnas here" but is one himself...

When you know that his plays are spectacular and you are impressed (but also know that part of that being impressed are the costumes, most of which have been rented from a professional theatre in the city) and you know that you won't be "as good" in that first year...

But you now have faculty members urging you on, you have parents approaching you at parent-teacher conferences, who you don't even know...

And when you know that he is good, and you can become good, and there are some that like him, but even more that don't...

What's an advisor to do?

I just want to know that I am making the right decision by putting myself out there and saying that I am willing to take over, if that is what is best for the school. Either way, I am fine, but I do want the complaints to die down. (After all, when the kids come to me to complain and scrunch their noses, what can I do about it? Just tell them to be patient, but there are only so many different ways to say this.)

I just need to be organized and good and survive.

After all, that's all a first year teacher can do! Survive.

(PS: For those missing this part of my other old blog:
Currently listening to a murder mystery in my car. One of those Patricia Cornwell novels--I have many issues with her (racist and homophobic come to mind) , but it takes a lot to hold my attention while driving home from school. I had been listening to MPR, which was nice for the daily does of news, but I had been catching too much business news. Blech.
Currently reading Reading Lolita in Tehran and The Name of the Rose. Both are good reads, but they're kind of stragglers from before... I read a series of short classics over Thanksgiving break: Daisy Miller, Chronicle of a Death Foretold, and The Stranger.
And for viewing pleasure, this weekend K and I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I could appreciate for being faithful to the book, though I think K preferred the "original" film version and the "original" Oompa-Loompas. Also saw The Pianist (and read the book version), which I would recommend to everyone, though it is quite somber. And this will be one of the very few times that I would recommend the film over the book, but clearly there was more of an emotional tug with the filmic adaptation.)

No comments: