Last week my beloved Emily came to town for the afternoon and she brought these adorable little loaves of bread she had baked that day. There is something about bread like this, the cross between muffin and the standard loaf, that makes me so happy. I think it's all a part of that winter comfort--chowder, hearty bread, warm chai, pancakes.
And I look to summer's comforts: lemonade, so many fruits (my favorites: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, apricots, plums, kiwi... I should stop now, yes?), sprouts, squash, zucchini, grilling, fresh asparagus.
Today, my husband and I took the dogs to Hay Creek, our first adventure in the winter months. I'm still up to my ears in yeech, but the sun is out, and I'd been indoors the past two days, blowing my nose and moaning in bed. Blue skies again! Clouds have begun to roll in (thank goodness we went around noontime), but for a while there, all was sunny and blue blue blue. Minnesota is known for those gray winter skies, so any patch of sun is a blessing. A whole afternoon of it is glorious.
I've been inspired recently by Shari's by the water's edge set on flickr. I keep thinking of that color: blue. And the ways in which nature can be gorgeous just before spring. Before it all hatches, sprouts. The lingering of hibernation, quiet contemplation. So I have a little hibernation meditation set up on flickr for my own images, those etheral, fleeting moments.
- World's Best Cat Litter (biodegradable!)
- In Like a Lion; Out Like a Lamb: cupcakes and stuffed creatures
- photo handcrafted notebooks: simply photo + mischievous meg
- Kate Nash, "Foundations"
- crochet art
- Abigail Percy's ginkgo prints
- Currently reading: I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb
- Currently watching: Beowulf and my husband play The Simpsons on the Wii
- Currently drinking: Leinenkugel's Honeyweiss (husband claims the new label makes it look like a girlie beer--I told him it kind of was a girlie beer)
- Currently missing: Kelly and her baby-belly
- Currently hoping: being a lamaze partner (I'm selfish, move out the way, Richard)
15 hours ago