Friday, September 28, 2007

balloons

Today, at the pep fest, I was embarrassed twice. I didn't realize what I was signing up for when I agreed, but running for homecoming royalty wasn't exactly..., but I don't think balloon popping was it.

Tonight is Local High School's homecoming game, which they may or may not win (they haven't won a game yet; the other team has not either--I cannot even begin to tell you what a contrast this is to Old High School, which was certain to win, boring, though shrieking with school spirit and neglect of the arts), and the day is scatter shot--a hour plus pep fest at ten thirty in the morning, an afternoon building floats (or showing films, as we are doing in my corner of the building--in our pod), a parade. And for one little trick, the six of us teachers on homecoming royalty court toddled on down the stairs and tried to pop balloons tied to the ankles of the student homecoming court. I may have been the first one taken one, which is such an immense relief--I am not athletic as some of the other teachers are, and they were a sight chasing after each other, balloons trailing.

I am glad I did it, however, as a teacher needs to be embarrassed but good once in a while, and it was amusing to hear them yell out my new last name from the stands.

I think I'm getting used to it now--this new last name belonging to me. I haven't gotten annoyed at the mispronunciations or misspellings as I would with my former last name, but maybe that is simply Husband's lackadaisical attitude rubbing off on me.

No comments: