Thursday, May 10, 2007

Rosalind Miles & more on wedding anxiety

Just last night, I closed the book on a double trio (the Guenevere trilogy and the Isolde trilogy) by Rosalind Miles. I had read The Mists of Avalon many years ago and though long, I really enjoyed it. I wish I could say I loved these books as much, but I thought they were decent. Maybe library material, as I doubt I'll re-read them (though maybe I'll lend them out).

I had to read all six in a row because I have this foggy memory and because of my busy schedule, if I read much in between, it would all slip out like stones. Of course, there is much to be said about spacing it all out, especially since she does a fair job summarizing the important bits in the prologue and manages to return to the events in some way throughout each book. Of course, there is much plodding repetition: How many times can Lancelot / Tristan leave Guenevere / Isolde and return? How many times can she angrily send him away? How many times can they almost get caught? Quite a few, all told.

I do appreciate, however, the desire to re-tell this story from the point of view of the female characters. I've always been drawn to stories of the Bible involving the strength of women (Harlot by the Side of the Road is on my very long to-be-read list) as well as Shakespearean characters (my favorite is Beatrice and would love to name a daughter for her, though something tells me K would be rather annoyed at naming any child of his something literary, so I just won't tell him the origin of this name). And I'm thinking of Ireland...
wedding... oh, do you see how my brain can get all tangled?) and catching up.

I had been ignorantly and stupidly and secretly hoping the summer class wouldn't take. It is going to be a wonderful experience and I will throw myself into it, but part of me had hoped to have those three weeks back so I could
Our own honeymon must be planned! I've been dripping with wedding anxiety as of recent, which is thoroughly obnoxious. After all, this is supposed to be fun, right? I just have happened to neglect it as I went through other More Important Events (OK, more pressing events, though Kelly would certainly argue that her wedding was indeed important, and it was, to her, but to me, my own really plan that wedding. The timing is really terrible, but I'll manage. I had thought April would be horrifyingly stressful, but as I look to June, July, August... that whole lump makes my heart start to tighten.

Ah, the bliss of being an engaged gal... K comes home tonight, so I will assault him with my to-do list and absolutely insist that we check things off methodically over the weekend or I will explode. :) It's always good to be in a tizzy when the fiance comes home and needs to relax from an overworked near-week in Santa Fe. Just when he wants to settle down, he'll have two dogs and a very anxious girl jumping all over him.

Oh, and additionally, I cannot find my planner. It's awful how we are so addicted to these bits of paper, so bereft without them nearby to keep us aloft. I'm sure it's in these piles of papers I have on my desk (with a broken drawer, so every time I bump it or the wind from my walking goes by, it slides open, exposing the mess of paper clips and post its and whatnot inside) but I can't bring myself to really give it a good search. Of course, if I want to make it to the wedding shower and bachelorette party this month without having a certain someone throttle me, I'll need to find it.

3 comments:

KeLL said...

Can I borrow them?

Anonymous said...

so true, so very true! thanks for taking the time to write....have a good weekend - and boy, am i glad to be back home...x

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?"
- Mary Oliver

http://www.ninabagley.com - website
http://www.ornamental.typepad.com - blog

Anonymous said...

Thank you for coming by my blog, I am glad I followed you back to your lovely blog.