Saturday, July 30, 2005

Teaching Diverse Literature

Yesterday was my last day in a two week course on Teaching Diverse Literature. We went around the circle on the last day, considering what our goals are from this class. I have so many goals as a beginning teacher, but one of them that will be emphasized is fostering discussion. I think I am too afraid of the dead silence or my own lack of ability to get out what I want to say. I feel like I would need to practice these discussions before having them... and what happens if I can't fill up the time with "discussion"?

I shouldn't be afraid. I should be the Brave New Teacher.

Amanda (Thein, the instructor for the course) said that if you have one unit that you are proud of during your first year teacher, you're on the right track.

Oh, and in other news--August is workshop month. I will have many a-workshop to attend along with the Activities Fair. I am officially the advisor for the Literary Magazine and the Drama Club. (I hope this will improve my chances of getting the creative writing class(es) in the future!)

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention this, but I have started to periodically write in my non-teaching blog. I will probably do that today as I haven't written in either lately. I just figured that I have a lot to say about teaching, and there are some people who wouldn't have any interest in hearing about most of it! However, there are people who might want to know about the mundane and keep updates that way. Or maybe not. :)

No comments: